Saturday, April 24, 2010

How it began....

Several years ago, a drunk and obnoxious person told me I could never make good chili because I come from NY. Those who know me know never to tell me I can't do something. And so started my quest for the perfect chili recipe.

Ok the first few attempts may have been a tad bit hot. One guinea pig....umm neighbor referred to my attempts as "NASA Chili". He said it burned on re-entry to the atmosphere. Take from that what you will. And I swear I didn't know Josh had a heart problem or I never would have let him have some...

After much futzing, I came up with a recipe that is pure perfection. Those of you who have had my chili know this to be true. :) Armed with this recipe and high hopes, I entered in the Texas Ladies State Chili Championship for the first time.

Oh it was exciting too! All the people and festivities and the pots of chili cooking! I happily jumped into it fully confident I was going to place. Folks who have had my chili can tell you its damn fine chili.

So after a long day of cooking and merriment and after losing all feeling in my tongue (someone had to taste test), I settled in for the results. Boomer called the final table (20-11) then called 10th through second place...still not me..hmmm could I have won?? Then he called the numbers for first place...I don't remember all the numbers but he was calling mine! He announces the last number "fffffffffffffour!" Damn I was "ffffffffffive!". I didn't win. But that was ok. I must have made semis....a quick peek at the table listing showed I didn't even make it to quarters.

But but but my chili is gooooooood....turns out good doesn't matter....because its also orange not dark red....hmmmm

So began my adventures in CASI chili competitions. I can count on one hand the number of times I have competed in the three years since my first competition but that is changing now. I have researched and tested and researched some more. I have learned CASI chili is a beast all of its own but I will tame it... or not...or will...

So come on my adventure with me... sometimes this blog will be serious, sometimes funny but always an honest account...Pull up a spoon shaped paddle and let's go down this river together!

4 comments: