Saturday, July 24, 2010

New Recipe!

Hey all!

Work is still crazy busy.. but I have a new recipe for y'all to try...ok, I don't really say y'all but maybe I should ;)

This week's chili recipe is an adaptation of a soup recipe I enjoy. I was at the farmer's market last fall and one of the vendors was offering purple hulled peas. Since I am a yankee, I had never heard of them so I thought I would give them a try...she tossed in a free onion and this recipe was born lol...the soup calls for 4 cups of broth if you want to try that.

Purple Hulled Pea Chili


Ingredients:

1 lb Purple Hulled Peas (rinsed)...frozen works great here
3 small peppers... close your eyes and grab some .. be adventerous!
2 beefsteak tomatoes.. smoosh 'em, dice 'em- whatever :)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth.. or beef... or one and one...you get the idea.
1 diced clove of garlic.. good for flavor, mosquitos and annoying people.
1 TBS chili powder
1 TBS Chipotle chili powder and yes there is a BIG difference between the 2!
1 cup chopped onion...get the kids to chop it ... it will be fun to watch...
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1-2 lbs ground something or other...most people use beef... Brandon uses whatever he can hit with his car ;)

Ok got my pile- what do I do with it??

1. Brown the meat with the onion, peppers and garlic until the meat is mostly cooked and the veggies are mostly tender.... notice I say MOSTLY... if you let the meat and veggies cook all the way through you will have very dry meat and chewy veggies...

2. Toss it all in the crock-pot... oohhhh didn't see that spin coming did ya?

3. Add the rinsed peas, tomato substances and broth. Mix it well.

4. Toss in anything still left on the table....no, not the cat... put him down!

5. Set your crock-pot for 6 hours and go do the yard work... seriously, the neighbors are complaining....

6. Check on it every so often and adjust the liquid and spice as needed.


This stuff is good, easy and from me.... its a win all the way around!

I am working on the August contest and will post details soon!

Until next time - Howdy ROOooooOOOOOoooooOOOO!!!!!!!!!

(Didn't think I would forget that did ya?)

6 comments:

  1. yum!! purple hulled peas, eh? I'll have to look for those babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *snort*.. I used the frozen green beans for that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple hulled peas, cool! I wonder if I can find them in the grocery store...

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. you need to start a cookie recipe blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol Christina - the cookies will be up here on this blog tonight or tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete