Sunday, May 2, 2010

Howdy Rooooooooo

Ok, so yesterday was the 39th annual Howdy-Roo Chili Cook Off in Marble Falls, TX. This is one of my favorite events and I look forward to it every year. It’s run by the Highland Lakes Pod who happens to be the nicest group of folks I have ever encountered in CASI chili. And I don’t just say that because I am a member of said pod lol.

What’s a pod? What’s CASI? Sorry, I should explain these things. CASI is an acronym for Chili Appreciation Society International and a pod is a group of folks who organize and help promote chili. Usually a pod is regional filled up with regional folks.

History lesson for this week is now over :) Next week we can talk about Terlingua and the rivalry between CASI and Tolbert Chili. Or the week after. We will see :)

Yesterday morning, we jumped into Jon’s car and headed on over to Marble Falls. It was a little weird going without the pop up or the pit or chili makings but we had a mission. No cooking for us …We were going to judge!

Oh and by the way, turn in time for chili is 2 pm not 12 pm…2 pm…sheesh.

We pull up, hop out of the car, and head over to the chili pavilion. I headed over. Jon headed to the BBQ pavilion because he was looking to judge BBQ. But we really don’t care because, well, it’s BBQ. Everyone and his brother does BBQ. Heck, even I have done it and placed pretty high. Got the trophies to prove it :).

My goal was to judge semi finals. Nope, not doing the preliminary rounds. No crappy chili for my taste buds! After speaking to Ruby (head honcho for the pod), I learned there was 126 teams competing and it was going to be a wait to judge for semi finals. She told me to come back at 2:30 ..which I did but nope not ready yet… or at 2:45….or at 3. Apparently judging 126 chilis is time consuming.

Finally, semi finals!!!! Whoo hoo. And I got to taste 3 really great chilis! I tasted 12 chilis but only three were good. It was over way too quickly but I did get the information on taste I was after so all is good.

So now I have lot to think about. Time to redesign my recipe and see where that leads me. I am open to suggestions….

Oh and I want to give a quick shout out to a terrific couple I met-Leslie and Ziev. They wandered into the competition out of curiosity and ended up being judges. Good folks and very pleasant to talk with. And friends, stop gasping out loud. Yes I socialized and it wasn’t awful. I blame the darvocet.

Next week, we are heading over to the Manchaca VFW post for a Tolbert cookoff and hopefully to judge again. I will try to interview some of the cooks, so if you have any questions you want me to ask, shoot me an email.

Also, if there is any chili topic you would like to see covered here or recipe posted, let me know.

Howdy-Roooooooo til next time!

3 comments:

  1. Why the heck would you want that?? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. quick shout back! enjoyed meeting you & the clan, and learning about the great casi vs. tolbert rivalry... can't we all just get along? ;)

    --leslie&ziv

    ReplyDelete